Sunday, March 29, 2009

Recovery, relaxation and Japanese

It's now Monday at a quarter to 1 pm and I just got back from my first Japanese language class.

Yesterday was a pretty mellow day. I got up at around 8 or 9 and came online for a while. I got to talk to my Andrew for a little, but then the sound stopped working on my computer :(
I also got to instant message with my Daddy for a little bit, so that was nice. I spent the rest of the morning uploading pictures, which are now up for all to see and there is still more to come.

Trudy and I got hungry and went off on our own to find some food. We wanted to try this burger place because they serve the patties plain or covered in egg, so it would be new but still somewhat familiar. Unfortunately, you had to write your name down on a list to get a table. Trudy and I looked at the list, looked at each other and then walked out the door. We're not quite at the point where we can write things yet.

Instead we went next door to a place called Mamma's Boy. Luckily we had a young waitress who spoke a little English, so she helped us out and we managed to get some food. There was an item that was all over the menu that looked rather intimidating, but I decided to order it because I saw a lot of people eating it. It looked like a ball of something covered in a thin omelet and then topped with some sort of reddish sauce. It turned out to be somewhat like a burrito. There was a big ball of rice covered in what I'm going to compare to enchilada sauce and then wrapped in the thin omelet that acted almost like a tortilla. Then the whole thing was covered in sauce again. It was really good, so Trudy and I were impressed.

Here are some pictures of the food:






After that, we ran a few errands and then came home, where we sat in massage chairs and went online/worked on our projects for the rest of the day.

My project is a joint project with Jeff where we had to compare a Japanese coffee chain called Doutor Coffee to Starbucks in Japan as well as in the US. Doutor is a cheaper coffee chain and seems to be more of a get in and get out sort of place. Jeff and I did our best to make a fair assessment while still making our presentation look nice.



So that was yesterday. Today our classes officially start. I had Japanese class with Watanabi sensai this morning at 9. I was nervous at first because I feel like I know absolutely nothing, despite my efforts to learn some vocab and some of the hiragana characters. The class turned out to be a lot of fun. Watanabi sensai gave us some background on the development of the written Japanese and how most of it is derived from Chinese characters. We went over basic sentence structure (which is subject-object-verb while in english it is subject-verb-object) and the pronunciation of the hiragana characters. We also covered some basic verbs and vocab. Tabemasu is to eat, nomimasu is to drink, kaimasu is to buy, mimasu is to see and shimasu is to do. So when Watanabi sensai said to me, "Nani o shimasu ka?" (what do you do/what are you doing?) I said "Nihongo o benkyooshimashita" (I'm studying Japanese). He was very happy about this because he hadn't taught us nihongo, which is the word for Japanese. I was a little proud of myself.

After class we got some food at one of the ticket (kippu) machine places. Then we came back and I put together a quick presentation on the dessert food that Trudy and I tried. Now I am waiting until 2:30 when we meet as a class for our history and theory class.

Hopefully I'll write more later, but I might be busy learning Japanese :)

No comments:

Post a Comment